The History of the Palace - Dég Festetics Mansion

The History of the Palace

Acquisition of Properties in Dég by the Tolnai Festetics Family
The Festetics family, one of the most well-known noble families in the 18th century, acquired its properties in two different branches: the part of the family raised to dukedom built their estate in Keszthely, while the Tolnai Festetics family, starting from petty nobility and obtaining countship, did the same in Dég.


The huge Dég estate, located in Mezőföld, famous for its fertile soil, was exclusively owned by Royal Counsellor Lajos Festetics (1732–1797), who built a single-storey Baroque manor house on the Tolna estate in the 18th century, still visible at the border of the old municipal area of the settlement. It was inherited by his eldest surviving son, Imperial and Royal Chamberlain Antal Festetics (1764–1853). After a while, thanks to the smart management, the Dég estate became the most prosperous estate of the petty noble branch. Antal, often called “the richest petty noble in Hungary”, obtained his wealth during the Napoleonic wars, selling grain grown in Mezőség to the army.


Antal Festetics, the petty noble mansion builder, wishing to create an unsurpassed estate centre, hired one of the most excellent architects of his age, Mihály Pollack (1773–1855), to design one of the most representative Classical mansions in the country. According to research, the young and talented architect started the construction around 1802, and the building was ready as early as 1812, when the works on the portico opening to the mansion park were commenced. The mansion, surrounded by several facility buildings and a giant English landscape garden, finally became a cosy home for the family.

 

Széchenyi ikon